Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1QlW0R57d The Story Behind The Last Bus to Bangor

Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Story Behind The Last Bus to Bangor

Hi Kids, Larry here.

People are always asking me, "Lar-dog what's the real story behind the Last Bus To Bangor tune?  Well, normally I don't like to reveal much about the origin of tunes, I prefer to let the listener make his or her own interpretation.  But for you blog followers, I will relate how the song came about.

The tune came about one day when I was listening to a record by Bobby Charles.  He is one of those singer/songwriters that never really achieved the fame he deserved.  He's from New Orleans, and is better known as a songwriter, having written some of the great tunes that came out of New Orleans, such as "See You Later Alligator" (which he wrote when he was 16, made into a hit by Huey "Piano" Smith and the Clowns) and some of Fat's Domino's big hits such as his signature tune "Walking To New Orleans".  The Nevah band plays the tune "Down South In New Orleans" which was also written by him.  As a singer, he has a laid back blue-eyed soul style, that you really don't get all that much anymore.

So I'm a fan of Bobby Charles.  I was listening to one of his tunes - "Last Train To Memphis" and started thinking about Bangor and how there are no trains that come and go from Bangor, only buses - and about 45 minutes later I had the tune!  I started with the same feel that the Bobby tune had, but very much veered into C&W territory (crying and wailing, that is!)  I brought it to the guys who were talking about how we had to incorporate more original tunes into the band (these guys write some kick @!ss songs.  I mean, how can one HOPE to compete with a tune like "Driftin' With The Tide"?  It contains solos for both kazoo AND flute!)  Luckily they all liked the tune and we worked it over and gave it the Nevah treatment.  Stay tuned for more originals from the Nevah songwriting mill - we have a few in the pipeline.

Perhaps you have taken the bus from Boston to Bangor.  My wife Adria is a big fan - prefers to leave the driving to "them".  The last bus to Bangor from Boston sometimes has a singing bus driver - a real character.  My hope is that sometime I'll get to play the tune for him - maybe he'll add it to his repertoire!  A guy can dream can't he?

OK, I'll sign off now from my first ever blog entry!  I feel relieved to no longer be a blog virgin.  Have a great day and hang loose!

Larry of Nevah

No comments:

Post a Comment