Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1QlW0R57d Banjo Wireless Solution That Works (for me) - Pt 3

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Banjo Wireless Solution That Works (for me) - Pt 3

All right … Pt 3 of my Banjo amplification search

When last we left off … "I was stuck in amplified banjo sound hell … and then to top it all off I added to my troubles and decided to go wireless …"

Actually it was the wireless desire that changed everything. One of our NEVAH band members a wonderful bass player, singer, song writer, arranger and harmonizer, plus all around nice guy, Phil Pitula, bought a Line 6 G-30 wireless set up. I was thoroughly impressed as he walked around the rehearsal space with a wide range of full mobility and 100% clarity. No long chords. The only thing keeping him in one spot was singing into his microphone, an issue we will address in the near future with wireless headsets. I went on-line and looked at the device, then went to a local music store in Bangor Maine, Northern Kingdom Music … they had one in stock, sooooo … I bought it.


Line 6 G-30 Wireless Rig

I took my newly acquired Line 6 G-30 wireless system and rushed home. I plugged the receiver into my Fender Acoustasonic 150 amp, then, after putting the battery in the transmitter, plugged that into my fishman pick-up and NADA, nothing, zip, no sound. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! 

I was a bit perturbed to say the least. I called Fishman and spoke to a super nice technician who explained to me why the Fishman Banjo Pick-up probably wasn't working with the Line-6, nor would it work with the wireless system. Technical stuff, I think he said Ohms, that had my head spinning. In plain terms … the Fishman and the Line 6 G-30 were not compatible.

I hung up the phone, and then it hit me … I saw the MTV music awards, or one of the numerous music award shows and Taylor Swift, yes, Taylor Swift was playing a Deering six string banjo, moving about the stage freely and her Banjo Head had a built in pick-up. The Banjo sounded fantastic, albeit the sound equipment and crew was a little out of my budget and could possibly be the reason the six string Deering sounded so good –  I now had a direction. The solution was right in front of me. I googled Deering Banjos and there it was … the KAVANJO banjo head. I called Deering and they directed me to John Kavanaugh inventor, patent holder, designer and manufacturer of the Kavanjo banjo pickup system. I went to his site, called and left a message. 


Kavanjo White Banjo Head
A short while later my phone rang and it was John Kavanaugh. I asked him numerous questions especially the one concerning the Line 6 G-30 and John assured me it would work. I then asked him if he had made one in BLACK. He had not, but would be happy to provide me with the FIRST BLACK KAVANJO Banjo Head pick-up system … with black screws of course. Don't ask me why, that's a whole other story. Let's just say, I wanted it in Black. I also asked for an external 1/4 inch jack setup as opposed to plugging the wireless chord directly into the head. John said, "no problem" - he was shipping it out the next day, and pointed out that there were video installation guides on his site …

Yes … I was in amplified banjo heaven …

Next Blog: Kavanjo Banjo Solution - installation and the real TEST.




1 comment: