Read more: How to Add Meta Tags to a Blogger Blog | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4432068_add-meta-tags-blogger-blog.html#ixzz1QlW0R57d Nevah plays Rocky Top in "D"

Monday, July 4, 2011

Nevah plays Rocky Top in "D"

Hey everyone! Hal, the Banjo guy here. First of all, Happy 4th o' July, and remember, please don't over-drink and play the banjo, it can be hazardous to your listeners. Or is that drink as much as you like because it will make the banjo sound better, or, have your audience drink as much as possible so they don't care what the banjo sounds like or drink till you can't remember where you put the banjo so you can't play it, then everyone is happy. Can't make up my mind, I think I need another beer. You pick!

hire-Nevah-a-Maine-Band
The NEVAH Logo

I'm very excited, we, NEVAH, have chosen a key for the classic bluegrass tune "Rocky Top". I love that song but have never been able to tweak my voice to sing it in a high enough register to sound "right". I tried it in just about every key, playing in "G" fingering, capo'd up five frets (key of C) which actually worked, but wasn't quite up to par. After four hours of rehearsal I was able to sing it in "G" but that almost tore my throat out so Phil (Bass player) suggested and we finally decided on the key of "D".

Now for those of you who play the banjo, playing in "D" without the use of a capo is pretty cool, a bit tricky but fun. I've been practicing everyday for the last week and feel pretty comfortable in "D". I'm adding a few licks and some interesting fifth string hammer on's while playing up the neck. I really believe that the most important thing in any tune is to get the chords down 100% first, playing them all over the neck in various configurations. Then, after you've got them down cold, start to add some melody notes based on the chords, pull-offs, hammer's, etc. and eventually throw in an organized lick or two. Sounds easy. And it is, if you play really slow. Tony Trischka hammered that into my head when I lived in New Jersey and was fortunate enough to take some lessons. Hey, Tony has this amazing on-line School of Banjo teaching service. It's like being in the room with him taking a private lesson. You should check it out when you get the time.

Anyway, have a wonderful, safe, FOURTH of JULY!

Hal
Banjo Guy from NEVAH
a Maine based band

No comments:

Post a Comment